The Third Age Trust
The University of the Third Age (U3A) is a UK movement of retired and semi-retired people who come together to continue their educational, social and creative interests in a friendly and informal environment.
The Third Age Trust is the national body that looks after all U3A groups in the UK, providing educational and administrative support.
The Andover U3A is affiliated to the Third Age Trust; members are expected to abide by the Principles of the U3A Movement.
The Principles of the U3A Movement
The U3A movement is non-religious and non-political and has three main principles:
1. The Third Age Principle
• Membership of a U3A is open to all in their third age, which is defined not by a particular age but by a period in life in which full time employment has ceased.
• Members promote the values of lifelong learning and the positive attributes of belonging to a U3A.
• Members should do all they can to ensure that people wanting to join a U3A can do so.
2. The Self-Help Learning Principle
• Members form interest groups covering as wide a range of topics and activities as they desire; by the members, for the members.
• No qualifications are sought or offered. Learning is for its own sake, with enjoyment being the prime motive, not qualifications or awards.
• There is no distinction between the learners and the teachers; they are all U3A members.
3. The Mutual Aid Principle
• Each U3A is a mutual aid organisation, operationally independent but a member of The Third Age Trust, which requires adherence to the guiding principles of the U3A movement.
• No payments are made to members for services rendered to any U3A.
• Each U3A is self-funded with membership subscriptions and costs kept as low as possible.
• Outside financial assistance should only be sought if it does not imperil the integrity of the U3A movement.
Find out more
Further information, including details of national events, can be found on the Third Age Trust website:
Some areas of that website are restricted to members only, and you will be required to register and obtain a login and password to view those areas. Registration is quick and easy: note that, for registration purposes, the Andover U3A Group sits in the U3A's "South East" Region.
You can sign up to receive the monthly National Newsletter at www.u3a.org.uk/newsletter
Other Contact Details
The postal address for the Third Age Trust is:
The Third Age Trust
52 Lant Street
Telephone: 020 8466 6139